Who has a remote start? Self Install or Pro install

• 1 year later...

I am in the process of doing a remote start keyless entry on my 2014 spark, but the ignition harness is ridiculous then it says that all the wires to be connected are at the BCM, not like it shows in video. Needless to say I took off the under dash panel and bottom ignition cover. Then I ordered the cruise control for it....wish me luck...doing a little bit per day

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

many options for adding remote start...

while for a remote start installer with a lot of experience, this car is very easy, for a DIY'er with little experience, it can be tricky as it is very different from most older cars.

one big issue is, that the manufactures that make the systems require any authorized retailers to also do the install and that is the only way they will warranty any of it.

a side effect of this is that most places that are not authorized retailers, have to acquire them some way other than buying them from the manufactures, and all too often the systems are refurbs, and the last thing you want when buying a system that offers no warranty is a system that failed and had to be sent back to be repaired/replaced.

having the authorized retailer do the install also not only gives you a warranty on the system, you also have a warranty on the install and probably most important IF something were to happen to the car while they were working on it, the shop should be insured to cover it.

I have seen some pretty poor RS installs in my days as a tech, and poor installs or install technique can lead to many problems not limited to but including frying thousand dollar car computers or catching the car on fire. you really should have some good experience with car installs before ever attempting to install something like a Remote Start system.

I have one on my silverado and sonic both factory installed and never used.. I guess if you live in the snow or something it's a nice feature but in sunny socal theres no need for it. It was cool to have back in 2007 when it was the hip new thing.. but its just a feature i dont need

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, silverspark78 said:

Is there anyway to install the factory remote start in the 17's?

Unless it comes pre-wired for it, (parts at the deal can tell you) you will  need to go aftermarket.  Mine when they checked the VIN didn't have it pre-wired so it would be over $1200 to have a factory until and then replace both keys to the remote start keys.  I went with a CompuStar remote start, it has it's own FOB or it can be programmed to start on triple click of lock.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...